Our Village Church - A Place of Worship - Open for All
Community - Tranquility - Prayer
God our Father, at this time of crisis, when so many are suffering, we pray for our nation and our world. Give our leaders wisdom, our health service strength, our people hope. Lead us through these parched and difficult days to the fresh springs of joy and comfort that we find in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Live services are back in Christ Church!
We have resumed our normal service schedule, but with our monthly evensong continuing to be on Zoom rather than live. For details see our Services page.
To comply with Covid requirements, Christ Church will usually only be open for private prayer on Sundays from 10.00am until 4.00pm and on Wednesdays from 9.30am until 4.00pm.
Throughout the pandemic we have maintained the Church porch as a place for quiet contemplation and for enjoyment of the peaceful view across the churchyard. We will continue to do so, with Patsy’s flowers and Reflections from the Leith Hill Benefice Ministry team.
We also have a Covid-19 set of pages on which we are publishing Reflections from the Leith Hill ministry team and information on continuing support arrangements.
Welcome to Christ Church Coldharbour, in south east England's highest village on the eastern slopes of Leith Hill within the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Along with St James of Abinger, St Mary the Virgin of Holmbury and St Johns, Wotton, Christ Church is a member of the Leith Hill Benefice. The Benefice is part of Dorking Rural Deanery within the Diocese of Guildford.
Please come and enjoy the tranquillity and beauty of the Church and its surroundings, which those of us fortunate to live in Coldharbour treasure, either on Wednesdays or to join us for a service.
To meet the growing needs of the village and its surrounding country estates, Christ Church was built in 1848 by local landowner, John Labouchere of Broome Hall, on land provided by the Duke of Norfolk, to the design of Benjamin Ferrey, a pupil of Augustus Charles Pugin.
A major reconstruction of the Church interior in 1904, which included the installation of a new organ, was funded by, among others , Hervey Vaughan Williams, brother of Ralph. Their parents were married in Christ Church and Ralph used the organ in his younger days. He also used to conduct the Coldharbour Band's annual Christmas carol concert.
Today, Christ Church serves a thriving community of about 350 souls. We worship in a number of different formats to engage with the whole community - the young, families and the not so young - and, when possible under Covid rules, the Church is used for a variety of events, including Village Band concerts and other musical events, all of which help Christ Church to really be central to village life.
We hope that this website provides useful information for those who worship at Christ Church, as well as those who live in the area and would like to know more about the Church, our services and our events, and those visiting us and who are interested in our Church, its history and the surrounding area.
Our Safeguarding Policy is set out on our Safeguarding page.
If you have any comments on the website, which can always be improved, please let us know.